A smile full of crooked and uneven teeth is unfortunate, because there are orthodontic treatments that can correct that. But which one works for you? Traditional metal braces are still around, but while they do work, there may be an alternative: Invisalign clear aligners. Here are seven ways Invisalign can improve your smile’s appearance.
- Plastic molded for your mouth can be more comfortable than metal. With traditional braces, metal brackets are cemented to the front of your teeth. Then metal wires are connected to those brackets. That’s a lot of metal in your mouth. If you have an accident involving your mouth, you could seriously hurt yourself on those brackets and wires. Invisalign is made from thin plastic instead.
Even if you are very safe and have no accidents, you can catch the inside of your lips and cheeks on the metal. This can cut you and leave scars in your mouth. Since Invisalign uses clear aligners made from plastic, there’s nothing to catch on.
- Your aligners are clear, so Invisalign is more discreet on your teeth than metal brackets and wires. Chances are, you’ve heard of the term “braceface.” No, it’s not exactly a compliment. Metal braces can look unattractive. With kids, there’s often a lot of teasing about wearing braces. There’s usually no such teasing with adults, but because teens get braces so often, it can look a little odd for an adult to have them. Wearing them can make you self-conscious.
Invisalign is made from clear plastic. Most people cannot see that you’re wearing anything unless they get up close. That’s why Invisalign is often called “invisible braces.” Your confidence does not have to suffer knowing that people won’t see anything unusual with this discreet orthodontic treatment.
- Invisalign is often done in months instead of two or three years. Traditional metal braces work, but they haven’t changed too much over the years. Just like when you were a teenager, it can take anywhere from two to three years before they are done. That means years of dealing with metal brackets, wires, and the discomfort both may bring. When there was no alternative, many people endured such a lengthy treatment.
Invisalign is a modern orthodontic treatment. The exact time you’ll need to wear these aligners varies. If your teeth are very crooked, things will take longer than if your teeth were only a little out of alignment, or you may be a better candidate for braces. For many people, Invisalign can improve crooked smiles in an average of 12 months.
- You need fewer visits to our Surrey, BC dental office with Invisalign. Since you’d have to wear metal braces for years, that means you would have to make a lot of trips to the dentist’s or orthodontist’s office. For braces to do their job, the wires connecting the brackets need to be tightened every couple of weeks. Skip a treatment, and you’ll be adding weeks to your total time with braces.
When you go with Invisalign, you’ll receive several clear plastic aligners every time you visit with Dr. Rogers at our White Rock/South Surrey, BC dental office. Each aligner is normally worn for about two weeks, so you will not have to come to our office nearly as much. That means more time for you.
- There are no food restrictions with Invisalign clear aligners. Although the brackets and wires are made from metal, they can be damaged by certain hard foods. You normally cannot eat things like bagels, pretzels, popcorn, or nuts for fear of damaging your braces. You also have to skip sticky foods like peanut butter and some candy, as it can be time consuming to clean off your braces.
Invisalign aligners can be taken out whenever you want (as long as you wear them at least 20 hours a day). When it’s time to eat, you simply remove them. This means you can eat all of the foods you did before starting orthodontic treatment. When you’re done eating, give your teeth a quick brushing and put the aligner back in.
- It’s easy to keep your aligners clean, and food won’t get stuck in your braces. Metal braces have another tricky problem with food — it’s easy to get food stuck in them. All of the food you chew when wearing braces gets smashed up against those brackets. Bits of food can easily get trapped by the metal. Since the brackets are on your teeth, that usually means the food is stuck right up against your enamel. You’ll have to clean your braces frequently (usually with a special tiny brush) to avoid cavities.
Because you take Invisalign clear aligners out when eating, there is no additional problem with getting food stuck in your teeth. That means you won’t be at any higher risk of cavities.
- Your crooked smile can look straighter. In the end, you want an orthodontic treatment to help your smile look better. That’s exactly what Invisalign can do for many people. Each aligner is slightly different from the rest. Worn in sequence, they can slowly but surely guide teeth to more appropriate positions.
Dr. Rogers is a general dentist who can provide Invisalign clear braces in Surrey, BC to help your family’s smiles. Call us today at 604-635-1695 ext 1.